Feather lose after recovering for severe broken leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvmigrls, Dec 17, 2013.

1. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    So some of you may recall my RR that had broken leg. It has been 2 months now and she is still hopping on the one foot. We had removed the splint about 10 days ago. It was suggested to use Q-tips to reinforce the leg for support after the swelling had gone down. She has been getting aspirin in her water for close to a week now, can't tell that it is working. When we removed the splint we saw that she had a portion of her leg skin dry up and was sticking out. We are thinking she may pick that off herself. My main concern now is that she has been losing her small down feathers for about a week now. I have lowered the heat in the basement thinking she may be too warm. She has had army green poo that has also developed in the past week. I don't know if the two symptoms have anything in common. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Could she be going into a molt? Stress (like from an injury) will often throw birds into a molt
    Green poop on regular feed can mean they are not eating enough food or the food is not being processed. Do you know if she has been gaining or losing weight? It can take quite awhile for an animal to start using a leg again after it has been injured or in a cast, she does have enough range of motion in the leg where she should be able to use it?

3. luvmigrls

luvmigrls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Washinton State
    So it has been awhile. She seems to have quit loosing feathers this past week. Along with grain she is getting dried meal worms and cabbage/kale mix. I am trying to regulate portions between the grain and other treats. I thought maybe too much worm was the reason for the dark green poo. Her appetite is good and she is both eating and pooing. Good question on her range of motion. I can not tell, as I am afraid of moving and re-breaking it. I cut off the dried skin tag and saw new skin/hide in it's place. She does not like trying to move her leg, and I don't know how much force to use?
    Also- Today my Barred Rock is making unusual sounds when she is talking, sounds like raspy breathing. When she tried to squawk at me it sounded horse. Are those signs of a respiratory illness? Any thoughts on that? Thanks~Cindy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by