Feather lose on back near tail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RoseZubal, Jan 13, 2014.

1. RoseZubal

RoseZubal Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2013
    I have three hens and one rooster. One of the hens has lost some feather on her back closer to her tail feathers. The hens haven't so don't think it's a disease. She's about 8 months old. What could this be?

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    can you post a picture of it, sounds like it is just over mating and a simple saddle apron would be helpful but seeing a picture would help to determine if it is something else.

3. RoseZubal

Sep 6, 2013
    Yeah I can send a picture when I get home from work. I thought maybe someone was being aggressive with her.

4. RoseZubal

Sep 6, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's some pictures, looks better from Sunday

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is in the area where feather loss from overmating occurs. Some hens are more receptive to the rooster's advances than others--she may be lower in the pecking order, but not always. It is best to have 10 or more hens with a rooster, or remove the rooster. Hen saddles are an option as said earlier. Once those feathers are out, they can get pretty bald, and they usually won't come back until the first big molt is over.

6. RoseZubal

Sep 6, 2013
    Yeas I heard we need more hens, we didn't plan on having a rooster. Once we get a bigger coop we will get more hens. I know she runs from the rooster so maybe she is the lower in the pecking order...

7. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    She's beautiful!

8. RoseZubal

Sep 6, 2013
    thank you her names Tweet

9. kgt9699

kgt9699 New Egg

Feb 10, 2013
    I just say your post. My poor hens look worse than that, but I don't have a rooster. I am wondering if I have one aggressive hen. Is that possible, for another hen to do this? It isn't all of my hens either only about 3 of the 8 hens.

10. RoseZubal

Sep 6, 2013
    I'm sorry I never replied. How rude of me...Yes another Hen can do it too, pecking order. I put a saddle on my hen and it helped the feather grow back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by