Feather loss and puss pockets

Kolbe

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2017
About a month ago my 2 year old chicken began loosing feathers on its back. After 2 weeks of her loosing feathers I began to think it was the other chickens picking on her- but, that never seems to be the case. Then I noticed last week the feathers under her wings were also starting to go. Today we caught her and checked under her wings to look at the feather loss. This is when we saw that there was a puss pocket on both sides under her wing, both about the size of a nickle. We weren't able to get a photo of the puss pocket, but we did of her feather loss. She doesn't seem to be in pain and does everything that she always has.

Please, anything that will help to make my poor chickie get better, I'm very worried about her!

Thank you in advanced!
Kolbe

BantamLover21,

Yes I do. Just one and he was raised from 1 week up with all my hens.

Would having a rooster make a difference in my hens health concerning the feather loss and puss?

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I asked about the rooster because I suspect the hen could be getting overbred by the rooster. As roosters breed, they "tread" the hen's back and grab onto the head, often pulling/scratching out feathers in both areas. If the back area gets bare enough, the claws and spurs of the rooster may then damage the skin, resulting in gashes and possibly your hen's puss pockets. It seems a little odd that your rooster would suddenly start overbreeding this one hen, but chickens can have some strange behavior/interests. I would try to help your hen by trimming the rooster's nails, spurs, and beak. You could also try a "hen apron" which protects the back. It wouldn't hurt to temporarily isolate the hen (from the rooster at the very least) to allow her feathers to regrow and the skin to heal.

Thanks! With your initial suggestion I did do a bit of research based upon the idea that it was my rooster. From what I read then it does seem like that is what is happening to her. We put some olive oil with a bit of lavender essential oil to help her with the wounds. But, he also was not to fond of the smell and has been leaving her alone. She is looking better and I am glad I now know what to look for to keep my hens happy and healthy.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom