1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feather loss around necks of birds "HELP"

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by yardbird88, Oct 29, 2014.

1. yardbird88

yardbird88 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2014
    uvalde
    a few of my pullets are having feather loss around their necks and a lot of scratching around that area i started sevin dusting them and their area. I did notice small slender grayish bugs in their coop and one was on my foot but i cannot find any bug on the chickens themselves. They seem very fragile to were just touching them seems to kill them. My question is lice or chicken mites and how to get rid of them.

2. ScienceChicken

ScienceChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2014
    Springfield, Missouri
    If you could take and post a picture of the bug that would help to identify it, but the description of "a small slender grayish bugs" sounds like a Silver Fish bug to me...

3. yardbird88

Aug 25, 2014
    uvalde
    will try but i dusted the coop heavily do they cause feather loss

4. yardbird88

Aug 25, 2014
    uvalde
    ok this the best pic i could get it is a very small bug[​IMG]

5. ScienceChicken

ScienceChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2014
    Springfield, Missouri
    Well not a Silver Fish,I don't have a clue on what it is [​IMG]
    Hopefully some who's know what it is will find this thread
    The one thing I can tell you is the bug dose not look like not lice or chicken mites

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  6. yardbird88

Aug 25, 2014
    uvalde
    yeah after i posted the pic i could actually see it better than with my naked eye and i compared the lice and mite pics and it didnt seem like it was those two. which had me worried about catching something they had.

7. nubbin

nubbin Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    The bug in the picture is a Collembola which are also called springtails. They eat decomposing stuff and you find them in leaf litter. They are harmless and probably chowing on organic matter around the coop.

8. yardbird88

Aug 25, 2014
    uvalde
    Thanks for the info, I figured the were harmless after I watched them fir awhile and they didn't match up to any mites or lice pics.

9. LaylaFlora

LaylaFlora Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Are your chickens moulting? If you haven't already, check them at night. Bugs are typically more active when your chickens are resting.

10. yardbird88

Aug 25, 2014
    uvalde
    They might of been or they were pecking at each other cause everything is ok now. I guess I was just being a mother hen, seems like they do better when I just leave them alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by