Feather loss around vent !!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by swtangel321, Nov 7, 2008.

1. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I have noticed a few of my hens have some feathers missing around there vent area !! Is this always caused by pecking or could some of it be molting ? It might look a little bit red but just more naked than anything !! Any other reasons?? Thanks for the help !!

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Could be lice or mites. Have you checked for them?

3. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Dusted about 3 weeks ago and didnt see any on them then, the only reason I was thinking molting was b/c I noticed one hen seemed to have less neck feather than the week before (that doesnt look like pecking), But dont know much about "molting" around the vent !!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Got any roosters?

5. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Yes, 1 older one and a young BR that doesnt use his stuff yet !! Are you thinking the mating is doing it ? or him pecking ?

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    He may be pecking...

It might also facilitate breeding

[​IMG]

Lets just hope they are molting.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    swtangel321, the only idea I have about this is something that my SO has told me several times. He said that once my hens had been laying regularly for awhile I should get used to them losing some of their cute little bum fluff. I have noticed quite a few fluffy feathers in the nest boxes recently.
    ETA: I haven't noticed any redness around their vents, just the feather loss.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  8. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Ohhh do I hope [​IMG] [​IMG] Maybe tomrrow I can try to get a pic (I would have to send it via email to people)

As far as pecking goes he is a BIG MEANY to us (people) but when it comes to his hens they would beat him up before he got them (hes getting older and slower) There not mean to him but I could never see him pecking then !! Could be the girls pecking each other, but then again I have never seen that either !!

9. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Yah I was thinking that and MAYBE thats it, I have noticed it more in the older girls (2-3 years) None in the younger ones !! Will have to check tomrrow how red it is. Thanks !!

10. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    My one year old are the same way. Some worse than others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by