Feather Loss-Bare Belly-NOT MOLTING

capebird

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Cape Cod
I tried to get help for this issue once before and I'm trying again. I've got a number of birds that have feather loss in their belly area starting just below the vent. The exposed skin can be very red. I thought this was a mite issue….but I've never seen any mites, lice or the like. Is there anything else that could be causing this that I should consider? Pict below. Thanks for the help.

Wow, hat's a mystery to me. The only thing that comes to mind is, do they have a wire bottom coop? Or maybe something else in their environment they could be rubbing on, or that could be that irritating to their skin.

I suppose you could try some human antifungal cream, as for athlete's foot. At least it shouldn't do any harm. I can't even think of anything else to try.

I hope you find an answer.

If you want to rule out mites/lice do an experiment.... Get a *proper* poultry dust like 5% Sevin or the stuff they sell at feedstores, dust bird, place in cardboard box on white paper towels, cover box and come back in 30-45 minutes. I bet you'll be surprised by what you couldn't see, I know was, so that's why I *always* dust mine, even if I can't see any.

-Kathy

If you want to rule out mites/lice do an experiment.... Get a *proper* poultry dust like 5% Sevin or the stuff they sell at feedstores, dust bird, place in cardboard box on white paper towels, cover box and come back in 30-45 minutes. I bet you'll be surprised by what you couldn't see, I know was, so that's why I *always* dust mine, even if I can't see any.

-Kathy
Me too!

Since you said it was more than one chicken then I go with Kathy's suggestions. If you see the buggers after dusting, make sure you also do the coop.

If it was only one out of a flock, I'd suspect a protein deficiency.

Actually, I wonder if a protein or other nutritional deficiency might be the problem. I have even read of cases where feather problems went away when the feed was changed.

"I thought this was a mite issue….but I've never seen any mites,"

If they are Red Mites you won't likely see them on the birds during the daylight. They will get on the birds at night. Walk into your coop after dark with a white paper towel and rub it along the bottom of your perch/roost. If it is covered in blood then you have mites and have to take action.

As I mentioned earlier I would also check the level or protein in your feed, and make sure it is fresh. Adding more protein will help the birds get the feathers back sooner.

Best to you.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Yes, it is more than one bird….out of the 7 birds in that coop, 6 show signs of this condition.
I've been giving them dust baths in wood ash. I'll see if that helps. I've read about Sevin, but that doesn't really appeal to me.
I've also been spraying neem oil on the roosts. I'll try giving them more protein….see if that helps. And the idea of going in after
dark and inspecting, seems like I should do that. Thanks again… will keep you posted if anything changes.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Yes, it is more than one bird….out of the 7 birds in that coop, 6 show signs of this condition.
I've been giving them dust baths in wood ash. I'll see if that helps. I've read about Sevin, but that doesn't really appeal to me.
I've also been spraying neem oil on the roosts. I'll try giving them more protein….see if that helps. And the idea of going in after
dark and inspecting, seems like I should do that. Thanks again… will keep you posted if anything changes.
Mites can kill a bird... You could try some Ivermectin or poultry dust instead. I'd be willing to bet money that she has mites and/or lice even though you can't see them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pou...h&sa=X&ei=QjCmUuyVDMzloASUuIKwDA&ved=0CAUQ_AU

-Kathy

I found this thread while looking up the same issue. Except I have 5 hens and this is only happening with one of them. The under side of her belly is bare. The skin is pretty and pink with no sign of inflammation or irritation. My hens are about 8 months old and lay everyday without fail the nicest eggs I've ever seen. They stay in a large lot with a foot of sand on the ground and a large coop.
I feed them the laying crumbles, fresh water, and daily treats of cracked corn and bird seed mix.
They get to go to our garden and free range on weekends when we are home and can keep an eye on them. And about once a month I treat them with that menthol oil from the feed store under their wings just to keep the "colds" away.
I have the Red Lake Earth powder and I assume that will help with mites, rights? I'll sprinkle in their coop and dust them BUT please let me know if you think of something else since it is only one hen out of 5. --Also, I don't know if she is brooding or not because we work during the day but I have never gone out their and found her nesting. Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom