1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Feather loss behind ears - is it molting?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by austradork, May 13, 2010.

1. austradork

austradork In the Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Seattle
    Hello chicken people,

Last night I noticed that my dear australorp Harriet is losing feathers behind her ears. The feather loss is symmetrical on both sides of her head. My first thought was that she was molting, but my initial research leads me to believe that something else is going on because 1) it's May (from what I read, chickens don't molt in the springtime) and 2) her egg production hasn't slowed down (I hear this happens concurrently to molting). Plus, none of our other four chickens are experiencing feather loss, including another australorp. Besides the missing feathers, Harriet is doing fine. She's eating, drinking, as active as ever, and like I mentioned before, still laying.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on? Maybe she's just confused about the time of year and she actually is molting? In case it makes a difference, she's about a year old.

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Are they any tiny white dots on the feather shafts? Mites/lice can make the feathers fall out or the chickens pluck them out. Or she may be getting picked on by someone else?

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Those ideas, and also, do you have a rooster?

Ooooh, and [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  4. austradork

Apr 12, 2010
    Seattle
    Nope, no rooster! We just have girlies.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Well then, need a rooster? I have plenty!

[​IMG]

6. austradork

Apr 12, 2010
    Seattle
    I wish, ranchhand! As it is, we already have 5 hens, which is 2 more than the legal limit in Seattle. Shhhhhh! Don't turn us in! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: