1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Feather loss/ bump around eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by itsalladream, Jun 20, 2018.

1. itsalladream

itsalladream Songster 7 Years

Sep 19, 2010
    Mobile, AL
    My Coop
    A few of might girls seem to be missing feathers and have bumps around one of their eyes. Besides that, they seem to be acting normal. Thoughts? The last seems to have a bunch of little bubbles in the corner of her eye.
    20180620_165801.jpg 20180620_165925.jpg 20180620_170617.jpg 20180620_170940.jpg

azygous likes this.
  2. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict Premium Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    That doesn’t look good. I’ll tag some experts that will be able to help you out. @azygous @casportpony.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I see bubbles in the eyes of the 2 lower pictured chickens. That could be caused by mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG, a chronic respiratory disease. Have you seen them pecking each others’ eyelids or have you had a lot of insects that could be biting them? Because of a possibility of MG, I would be tempted to medicate them with Tylan 50 injectable, which you may give orally to each pullet. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound 2-3 times a day for 3 to 5 days.

azygous and townchicks like this.
  4. azygous

azygous Free Ranging 8 Years

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    From the symptoms and the fact that more than one individual is affected, I believe you may be looking at a CRD (Chronic Respiratory Disease) called Mycoplasma gallisepticum. Mycoplasma is a bacteria that causes swelling around the eyes and often bubbling from the eye.

It can kill if left untreated. The treatment is Tylan 50 given twice a day orally at .25 ml by oral syringe per bird for five days. In addition, get some terramycin ophthalmic ointment or drops and use it in the eyes.

5. itsalladream

Sep 19, 2010
    Mobile, AL
    My Coop
    Thanks for the responses. I don't have a way to separate them, so should I treat all?

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    itsalladream and azygous like this.
  7. itsalladream

Sep 19, 2010
    Mobile, AL
    My Coop
    Of course this is the first time they have gone in the coop by themselves at night, and I had to get them out. I did hear one of them sneezing when I went to them. The past couple of days she was making noises that sounded kinda duck-ish, so I thought she was finding her cluck, but I guess not. How quickly should I see improvement? Thanks again for all of the input!
    Another question, mostly out of curiosity. I've had them for about a week and a half. Is this likely something from where they were, or something that was present on my property? They had been kept in a 2' x 5' wire enclosure with, I'm guessing, 40 - 50 other 5 - 8 week olds.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh my, that sure was overcrowding. The sneezing fits in with MG. Hopefully the Tylan will help in a few days, but it doesn’t cure them of the disease. It is chronic, and they have it in their bodies. They may get symptoms again if they are stressed, such as during cold weather or during a molt. Some may, some may not. Denagard is another drug that some use to treat mycoplasma if they have it in their flocks. You can buy it online. The birds you bought probably were exposed to it by carriers at their old home. Your flock should be considered carriers and you should not add birds or rehome them, since they can spread the disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: