Feather Loss - Molt? Mites?

Risen242

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2017
IMG_5940.JPG IMG_5939.JPG We just received 7 new hens from a friend who moved away. We added them to our small flock of 3 hens. One of the chickens we got had a bald spot on her neck and the owner said that she had mites a month back and he treated her, and now she is fine, but the feathers never came back on her neck.
After a few days with the newly integrated flock she started to loose more and more feathers. I then noticed my other birds are staring to loose feathers on the butts and under their wings. Just finished checking the coop and my birds and and no signs of mites. Could they all be molting or could it be mites?
How do you tell the difference?

View attachment 1957229 View attachment 1957230 We just received 7 new hens from a friend who moved away. We added them to our small flock of 3 hens. One of the chickens we got had a bald spot on her neck and the owner said that she had mites a month back and he treated her, and now she is fine, but the feathers never came back on her neck.
After a few days with the newly integrated flock she started to loose more and more feathers. I then noticed my other birds are staring to loose feathers on the butts and under their wings. Just finished checking the coop and my birds and and no signs of mites. Could they all be molting or could it be mites?
How do you tell the difference?
Pretty sure it’s just heavy molting, if there’s any other symptoms, let us know! :thumbsup

My chicken are going through that same right now and for the most part they been worse off, Heck one of my polish was renamed baldy because of such heavy molt.
But listen to the folks up there ^^^, I'm no expert and just learning now as well.
Anyway happy molting.

My Orpington pullets are dropping feathers everywhere. I follow the trail to find them (they free range). It’s just something they do, I guess.

My coop and run, look like a feather factory gone amuck. Feathers everywhere and eggs no where. A while back there was a post for the worst molt, and I think my BA who just started might be a winner for it. Her neck, her breast, her back, and she looks lumpy, where there are feathers, like she has been pulled through the bush backwards. Poor thing.

MRs K

Back
Top Bottom