Feather loss, naked hens

Alice215

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Bridgewater CT
At first I thought the rooster was causing this so I got rid of the rooster. He was mean anyway and eat huge amounts of food. Then I thought molting, I increased their protein and just in case it was mites dusted them with DE and the worst one I bathed and inspected closely, I couldn't find any mites but I'm not positive. I have been feeding them turkey feed for about 2 months because of the higher protein content. Their skin is red/pink where there is no feathers. I even tried chicken saddles in case they were feather eating. Help and suggestions please. Someone in another group said fungal problems does this seem like that?

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 15
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I would not apply DE again, it may be making the skin worse and it will probably do nothing to rid mites.

If you want to treat for mites use a permethrin based spray.

At first I thought the rooster was causing this so I got rid of the rooster. He was mean anyway and eat huge amounts of food. Then I thought molting, I increased their protein and just in case it was mites dusted them with DE and the worst one I bathed and inspected closely, I couldn't find any mites but I'm not positive. I have been feeding them turkey feed for about 2 months. Their skin is red/pink where there is no feathers. I even tried chicken saddles in case they were feather eating. Help and suggestions please. Someone in another group said fungal problems does this seem like that?

The yellow bird has new feathers coming in.
It doesn't look fungal to me.
Leaving the hen saddles on can give protection from sunburn too.

Not all mites live ON the chicken. Best way to check is after dark. Take a white paper towel and run it along under the roost. If it comes back with red blood looking smears it is red mites. If it comes back with dusty or gray it is northern fowl mite. Both are best treated with a permethrin spray. Treat the birds directly and the coop when treating for mites.

Can I ask why the turkey feed and not chicken feed?

I was given this chicken, and told she is 6-7 weeks old.. I'll follow this thread accordingly.. View attachment 1422377

This bird looks like it was picked on. It is to young for over breeding to be a likely cause. Poor thing. I do see lots of new feathers trying to grow in.

The yellow bird has new feathers coming in.
It doesn't look fungal to me.
Leaving the hen saddles on can give protection from sunburn too.

Not all mites live ON the chicken. Best way to check is after dark. Take a white paper towel and run it along under the roost. If it comes back with red blood looking smears it is red mites. If it comes back with dusty or gray it is northern fowl mite. Both are best treated with a permethrin spray. Treat the birds directly and the coop when treating for mites.

Can I ask why the turkey feed and not chicken feed?
Because of the higher protein content. Can you recommend an easy spay to use?

This bird looks like it was picked on. It is to young for over breeding to be a likely cause. Poor thing. I do see lots of new feathers trying to grow in.

Back
Top Bottom