Feather Loss--Normal for Broody or Lice Related?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jengacat, May 4, 2017.

1. jengacat

jengacat Just Hatched

May 26, 2016
    Central Kentucky
    I recently discovered 2 hens have feather loss on their undersides, all the way from the top of the keel bone down between their legs. These are English Orpingtons, extremely fluffy, so nothing appears amiss until turning them on their backs! One hen (the one shown) also has what appears to be bruising or red marks around her keel. Both of these hens have recently been broody and I've noticed a few feathers around, but nothing crazy. One of them had lice, and I've treated everyone. Do you think this feather loss is related to the lice or the broodiness? Others who had lice but were not broody have no feather loss. Also is it normal to have completely featherless strips under each wing?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

That's called a brood patch. A broody hen plucks those feathers to bring the eggs closer to her body, and to help regulate the humidity

3. jengacat

jengacat Just Hatched

May 26, 2016
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks, Poultry Parent, I was hoping that was it. That's a relief lol. Is the redness and bruising from her plucking her feathers out? She is the crankiest old witch ever when she's broody and disrupts the whole flock. I built a broody buster for her now though and she knows I won't hesitate to use it!:p

4. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, they should grow back eventually

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by