Feather loss - not growing back as it gets cooler outside

Nicrom

Songster
Apr 26, 2021
NW Georgia
The vet called tonight and the poop sample came back that she had lung worm. I treated my chickens for this last spring as my other chicken was sick and made a full recovery. I was going to try to treat her tonight but she has rapidly declined and wouldn’t eat the medication. I don’t think she drank any water today and I couldn’t make her either. I made a plan with the vet to take her in tomorrow to put her down if the medication did not help but I couldn’t even try it. I think there are many underlying things going on and you have all been very helpful during this difficult journey.

thank you
I’m so sorry to hear this. I had been following along hoping for the best. 💔 You did a wonderful job caring for her. Looks like you gave her a great life.

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
The vet called tonight and the poop sample came back that she had lung worm. I treated my chickens for this last spring as my other chicken was sick and made a full recovery. I was going to try to treat her tonight but she has rapidly declined and wouldn’t eat the medication. I don’t think she drank any water today and I couldn’t make her either. I made a plan with the vet to take her in tomorrow to put her down if the medication did not help but I couldn’t even try it. I think there are many underlying things going on and you have all been very helpful during this difficult journey.

thank you
:hugsI'm so sorry

Ali123123123

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
Victoria, BC, Canada
My lovely chicken has passed away. Thank you so much for all your support.

I only have one chicken left now. I don’t want to get another chicken at the moment, but I’m worried that she will be very lonely. Can chickens do alright on their own? I am worried that if I introduce a new chicken they will be mean to the one I have left as she has a Crossbeak and a few other physical issues that she has always had. Also I don’t want to pass any disease onto the new chicken. Would love some advice about what you might do?

Ali123123123

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
Victoria, BC, Canada
This is the one that is left. She is also such a sweet girl and even eats lunch with my baby:) They like to hang out!

Attachments

• E70C4D46-7B8E-48A8-B1EF-535B747A851E.jpeg
    E70C4D46-7B8E-48A8-B1EF-535B747A851E.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 2

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
I'm sorry to for your loss:(

As for the remaining hen, I know many disagree, but I think she will be fine by herself. Does she have a coop outside? How cold does it get? You may need to add some extra straw for her.

Top Bottom