feather loss on my Roo

bobbilyn2000

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 16, 2014
Nebraska
I have a mixed breed flock of 23 hens and 1 roo in one of my coops. Many of the hens have bare butts that are red. I've used DE and poultry protector and cleaned the coop multiple times. now my Roo has a small patch around his vent missing feathers. His neck feathers look like they are loose and lifeless and he has a bare spot at the base of his tail about the size of a quarter, there looks to be a pimple that needs to be popped in the center of that spot. I'm getting very concerned for the flock. I have a smaller flock in another coop and they aren't having any issues at all. The affected flock are still laying eggs very well. Can I spray Blu Kote and hope that all will heal up or do I need to be looking in a direction that is not related to feather picking. I can't imagine that one of the hens would pick at the top of the base of the tail of my Roo. I'm really stuck and am nervous for the ladies. I've had chickens for several years and never had an issue like this.

would appreciate any input.

The "pimple" at the base of the tail is likely his oil gland. It is located at the base of the tail on the back, and they rub their beaks against it and then against their feathers, spreading the oil evenly.

You may wish to treat for mites/lice. I use poultry dust (permethrin) from the feed store, treating again at 7 days for mites (and 14 days for lice I have read is good). Treat the coop as well with permethrin spray or dust and toss bedding/nesting material.

I use Blue Kote when I have a problem with pecking, and it seems to work OK.

Last edited:
Oh that's so helpful to know! I've never seen the gland before, but I think the fact that he is missing feathers there made it visible. I'll treat for lice and mites and see if that helps. @ChickensAreSweet Do you know if I need to withdraw eggs during treatment with permethrin?

Oh that's so helpful to know! I've never seen the gland before, but I think the fact that he is missing feathers there made it visible. I'll treat for lice and mites and see if that helps. @ChickensAreSweet Do you know if I need to withdraw eggs during treatment with permethrin?
I don't know about that but I personally don't withdraw eggs. Back when Sevin dust was approved I believe the withdrawal time was 7 days???? Not sure. So it is just a personal judgement call unless you can dig up info on internet?

thanks for taking the time to reply. you were very helpful.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom