1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feather Loss on Neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MichelleT, Feb 7, 2015.

1. MichelleT

MichelleT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Carolina has had a patch of feathers missing for months. The pics are below, taken 2 weeks ago and today. It seemed like the area was getting larger, but now looking at the pictures, I'm not sure anymore.

I've checked for bugs - nothing.
    She's fine everywhere else.

About 3 weeks ago they had a stressful day (daughter and husband didn't communicate who was taking care of food and water on an extremely cold day - one in which they stayed in the coop all day), and one other chicken began a molt soon after. She is looking better and you can tell her feathers are coming in. Carolina - not so much.

I've read multiple articles and posts, but can't find anything (yet). Directions to a similar problem and solution OR personal experience here would be great. We've only had them since September and they're around 2-4 years old...

2 weeks ago...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

today:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. newwestchick

newwestchick Chillin' With My Peeps

It's in a spot where she could be pulling the feathers out herself, have you observed her doing this?

If she is, it could be stress related, or a protein deficiency if she is eating them, or even a trace mineral deficiency.

Good luck in your search for answers! I am sure you will get many helpful replies from the very experienced chicken keepers here :)

:welcome

3. MichelleT

Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I've never seen her do that, but my daughter has noticed her scratching in the area. I increased protein after the 'day of neglect' when Queen Peach started to molt. Like I said, QP has shown improvement (great improvement, in fact). But not Carolina. Any idea what trace mineral might be influencing the problem?

4. newwestchick

No idea what the underlying cause could be, but adding a little kelp (less than 2% of the total ration) and/or Brewers (nutritional) yeast are safe places to start. They can't hurt and can definitely help overall body condition.

5. MichelleT

Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Hmmm... Where would you find kelp? I have kelp MEAL that I use in my compost pile. Would that work?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  6. newwestchick

I would think so, I buy kelp meal from my farm supply store and sprinkle it on to the food. As long as there's nothing other than kelp in the ingredients it should be ok!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by