Feather loss/regrowth

SunAngel

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Chambersburg, Pa.
I purchased a black standard hen (not sure what kind yet) last night at the auction and when I got her home I saw she had a bare patch on her back from over breeding. Her feathers are completely gone in that area and I am wondering if they will ever grow back? Otherwise she looks ok and maybe 1-2 yrs old is my best guess.

If they will grow back, would putting one of those chicken saddles over her bare skin hurt or help the healing process?

If one of your roos try to mate her, they may break open the skin. I would suggest getting a saddle for her. I just bought Peppi one.
smile.png
www.mbldesigns.com They are pretty affordable. Did you get anything else at the sale last night?

The saddle would help the healing process by protecting her skin from any mating. You can purchase one, as silkieluver stated, or make one! FarmerKitty has a pattern posted and they look very easy to make. That way you wouldn't have to wait to get it and it would be much less expensive.
wink.png

2 ducks, which I think are Blue Swedish. They were so pretty, but I quit bidding and when I said no, Gary said yes and the guy went with his answer and I got them lol And I got a box with 4 peeps in it, but I think they are males...one possibly might not be though.

Gary got a 10 ft tree for $5 that we had to stuff in my Durango lol.

Thanks, I will check out that saddle site. I haven't got to see her for very long to figure out if she's a keeper yet, but I will buy/make her something if she seems nice.

Thanks gumpsgirl! I will look for a pattern.

So do you know if her feathers will grow back once its down to bare skin?

I only have 1 roo and he hasn't figured out his job yet, so she is safe for awhile anyways lol.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks much!

I was just out there for a bit, and she seems like a nice girl. She should be pretty once those feathers grow back. I will work on the saddle for her today
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom