Feather loss unexplainable

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jgirl922, Oct 22, 2014.

1. jgirl922

jgirl922 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2014
    Flint, Michigan
    Hey everyone. About a week ago when my girls wear out to play, one of my leghorns bent over and I noticed a patch of feathers missing between her legs. She still had fluffy under her vent tho. A few days later the same thing with my other leghorn. Now both my black crosses have the same loss and the leghorns are bare from vent to chest it seems. I have....multiple times....inspected the girls for creepy crawlies and have not found any signs. Everyone seems happy...eating well...bright red combs and wattles....poops are normal and for the most part no egg loss. (The sex links weren't super consistent and the weather has gotten cold and dark-ish much earlier...the leghorns still give me an egg a day). I just don't know what to do. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    This time of year chickens will molt and change dramatically in appearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's incredible to see the feather loss involved in a hard molt. Be sure to increase the protein in the diet. I like to feed cooked meat, cat food, and lots of fresh greens during the molt.

3. jgirl922

jgirl922 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2014
    Flint, Michigan
    Thank you for your reply. Is it safe to say that if a chicken is acting like a happy healthy chicken....then they are happy and healthy?

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Usually, a chicken who feels well is bright and alert and eating well. However, chickens are good at hiding illness so they won't be picked on. I like to pick up my chickens and look them over on a weekly basis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by