feather loss with blue Old English Game hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ldyshrk, Nov 14, 2013.

1. ldyshrk

ldyshrk Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    I have two Old English Game hens that are blue in color. Both have feather loss and feathers that seem to be thinning out. Just recently both have practically lost all of their tail feathers at the same time. Does anyone know why? Is this normal molt or does it have something to do with their blue-ness. I know the "blue" gene is some animals can create alopecia. I have 5 other bantams of differing breeds and none of the others are having this problem. I should say, by blue OEGs are older than the rest by a year and are probably the top dogs of the group, so to speak.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Check them for parasites, but I would guess that they are molting.

3. X2

4. ldyshrk

ldyshrk Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    No parasites. I check regularly because I've been so concerned.

Does it make sense that these two would be molting, but not the others? I don't know much about chicken molting

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    The older the hen or rooster is, the longer it needs to shed last years' feathers and the slower it generally takes grow a new set. If your little blue hens are pea combed then they will have fewer (or tighter feathers) than straight combed hens all things being equal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by