Feather loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JustaSnake, Sep 26, 2016.

1. JustaSnake

JustaSnake Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2015
    Something ripped a very large amount of feathers out of one of my hens. I am not sure what it was, there is a lot missing from around the neck, the back, the breast, and her but. Now a would imagine a predator would have been able to kill her since there is so much gone from the neck. Not only that but its perfect, no broken feathers, just perfect naked chicken in those areas. She is not injured, and the roo actually has some missing from his tail. What could it have been to not even injure her? I live in Maine and she is going to have no time to grow those feathers back and I hear chicken sweaters are a bad idea. She as on a saddle but that does not help underneath. Thank you! It also happened to my red hen (only on the breast, who no longer hangs out with the flock and sleeps in a different location. She Gave up on the flock when the rooster took over, if she could not reign she was out the door lol. So it cant be a feather picker in the flock.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

how old is she?

3. JustaSnake

Jul 16, 2015
    The red hen is 5 and the other one is only 1 and a few months

4. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

the red one could be starting to molt

5. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

are you sure they are not molting?
    several of mine are.

6. JustaSnake

Jul 16, 2015
    It happened over night, just the breasts on her, and perfectly naked... like a plucked chicken. She has molted before and it never looked like this. Plus I have the other hen with the same thing just a lot more. No one else is doing it and they are all the same age.

7. JustaSnake

Jul 16, 2015
    I will try and get some pictures.

8. JustaSnake

Jul 16, 2015
    Ok So I guess not so much perfectly naked, there is some of the feather shaft there. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Those are pin feathers. She's molting.

10. JustaSnake

Jul 16, 2015
    OK thank you... I have had chickens for 6 years now and I have never seen feather loss like this for molting!! Exp when she lost them all overnight. I guess she is just a crazy molter. I feel like a noob now lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by