1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feather loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nursesoc, Jan 9, 2017.

1. nursesoc

nursesoc Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    Northwestern Ohio
    Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to what caused this? My RIR approx 12months old recently lost feathers on her bottom below the vent. It seems mildly swollen and irritated but the skin is intact. She is acting fine not sure if anything I should do at this point. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks to me like she may have had feathers picked by another. Get some BluKote from your feed store to spray on her bald spot to help prevent pecking. Some people use BagBalm, Vicks, arthritis ointment containing menthol, and anti-pick lotions instead.BluKote has worked for me. Make sure that you ens are getting plenty of protein in their diet. A good commercial layer or all flock feed is best, with avoiding overcrowding and boredom, to help prevent feather picking. Look for lice or mites around the skin under her vent just in case that may be a problem.

1 person likes this.
  3. nursesoc

nursesoc Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    Northwestern Ohio
    Thanks for the info! I will definitely get the BluKote and check for lice and mites. Do you think the feathers will grow back?

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Feather will regenerate, yes. I'd observe your flock closely to see if you do indeed have a feather pecker. If so, remove the bird from the flock - displacement behaviours like that can spread to other flock members, given time.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by