1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feather loss

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chasitypearl, Feb 9, 2009.

1. chasitypearl

chasitypearl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    alot of my chickens are losing feathers and have almost bald spots on back just above tail feathers what do i do

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    do you have roosters tearing feathers out of your hens backs? or do yo have a mite problem?

3. chasitypearl

Feb 4, 2009
    i have a young rooster and an older rooster the young one looks good but not the hens or the older rooster

4. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    roosters will tear up feathers, and your young rooster copuld be breedign your old rooster. I would suggest you get rid of him or get chicken saddles for your hens.

5. chasitypearl

Feb 4, 2009
    thanks i fiqured that was the problem see im new to having chickens but i do love them birds ill be sad to see me young roo go but i got to do it

6. chasitypearl

Feb 4, 2009
    i have another question is there any thing i can do to help getting my hens looking good or do i just wait for the feathers and such to come back

7. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    how many hens do you have. Make sure its the rooster doing it, not mites or a molt. If you like your rooster and dont want to get rid of him you could seperate him

8. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    When a rooster is breeding the hen, he puts his feet on her back. His toe nails will start to tear the feathers out. He will eventually rip her back up. I've just been through this.

How many hens do you have per rooster?

I've got 9 hens for one rooster, and 3 of them get tore up worse, because they are his favorites.

If you want to keep the rooster, you need saddles. If you go to the home page, there is a google search at the bottom. Type in saddles, and you will find several posts. There are some members who have them for sale, or there is instructions on how to make them yourself.

9. chasitypearl

Feb 4, 2009
    i have 2o hens tell me more about the mites i dont think its molting because they all look ruff since my young rooster was old enough to take notice of my hens

10. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    look at the vent closely, are there little tiny tiny dots crawling, scabs aroung the vent, eggs in the feather?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by