Feather loss

Kimble

Hatching
Mar 29, 2020
Help one of my hens is losing feathers like crazy around her bum. There aren’t feathers laying in coop. My other two hens are fine. I have checked all for mites or parasites but nothing. I don’t know what to do for her

How much room do you have in your coop and how many chickens? What do you feed them? Do they get out to roam around the yard every day? Feather picking can be a result of overcrowding, too little protein in the diet, and boredom.

How much room do you have in your coop and how many chickens? What do you feed them? Do they get out to roam around the yard every day? Feather picking can be a result of overcrowding, too little protein in the diet, and boredom.
Any Ideas for boredom busters??

Do they get out to free range? Some people put swings and logs to climb on, a cabbage to peck at, and other things to interst them. This article gives more ideas:
https://www.hobbyfarms.com/keep-cooped-chickens-entertained-out-of-trouble/

Nothing beats getting outside ro roam around daily, or to increase the size of the coop. Are you feeding a balanced chickenfeed for layers or flock raiser?

I am having the same issue with Poppy, my Black Australorp. I had two other hens loose feathers around their vent back in September. I suspected mites or lice but after scrutinizing each hen, coop and run I could find no evidence. I treated the coop and each hen regardless. The other hens ended up losing neck feathers and developed pin feathers so I am thinking there's was just a weird molt.
I sprayed Poppy with Blue Kote and gave her extra grubs in the hopes her feathers will return but they have not. It almost seems worse, poor girl.
She is low on the pecking order and typically roosts by herself on the other end. Sometimes my Speckled Sussex or a Buff Orpington will roost next to her but quite often she is alone. I am guessing someone is feather pecking at night.

I am having the same issue with Poppy, my Black Australorp. I had two other hens loose feathers around their vent back in September. I suspected mites or lice but after scrutinizing each hen, coop and run I could find no evidence. I treated the coop and each hen regardless. The other hens ended up losing neck feathers and developed pin feathers so I am thinking there's was just a weird molt.
I sprayed Poppy with Blue Kote and gave her extra grubs in the hopes her feathers will return but they have not. It almost seems worse, poor girl.
She is low on the pecking order and typically roosts by herself on the other end. Sometimes my Speckled Sussex or a Buff Orpington will roost next to her but quite often she is alone. I am guessing someone is feather pecking at night.

We're having the same issue. 1 poor girl who plucks her feathers. She's living separately for a while to see if we can get some regrowth. So far not much luck.

I caught One of my girls pecking two of my chickens ! Separated for now

Well, strangely Poppy’s was just a horrific, long, drawn out molt! Her feathers are finally coming back in and no evidence of her flock mates pecking.

Back
Top Bottom