1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feather loss

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Major Buff Orpington, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Major Buff Orpington

Major Buff Orpington Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    One of my Maran hens has lost a few feathers from her neck and is now impersonating a vulture! Anyone know what could be causing it? Thanks.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    One very common thing this time of year is molting. These articles give pictures of molting, talk about where it starts and finishes, and gives you some hints so you might be able to tell if it will last a couple of months or 5 or 6 months with your chickens. It is always possible it is something else, like feather picking, but my money is on molting.

Mississippi State describes molting
    http://msucares.com/poultry/management/poultry_feathers.html

Kansas State feather loss
    http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/lvstk2/mf2308.pdf

3. austradork

austradork Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Seattle
    Oh gosh. One of my Australorps had that problem a while ago and it didn't turn out well. You can see pics here. I also posted here and here . As you can see in the links, the problem started with Harriet losing feather around her head and neck, but it quickly progressed to include severe swelling. I'm not trying to scare you or anything (the necropsy vet said she'd never seen anything like that before!). If your chicken starts to look like my poor Harriet, let me know. It turned out to be a severe bacterial infection that wasn't identified in time (the other vets were mystified too) and we had to put her down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by