Feather Loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickendot, Jul 20, 2011.

1. chickendot

chickendot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2008
    Northern Nevada
    About 6 months ago our rooster (who is no longer with us) was just brutalizing the chickens. When he covered them he would just rake his claws over their backs and pull all the feathers out.. So I have about 5 chickens that are 'bald' from about mid back to the tail. They've made it through the winter and we thought, ok, now it's spring they will get feathers. Well then we had a feather puller, she has been given away. It is now July, while some are moulting and look horrible others show no sign of any feather growth. Is it possible that the rooster damaged the follicle and they will never get feathers? All the chickens we raised from this batch are some of the worst chickens we've ever had...maybe we just got a bad batch.... anyone have any ideas on how to get these girls feathered out? We've checked for mites, they have a special set up for dusting, get oyster shells, hen scratch and layer, eat scraps, they are probably some of the most spoiled chickens I know.......

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Glad you posted this. My rooster did the same thing to 3 of my girls. I'll watch this thread for others' ideas! [​IMG]

3. chickendot

chickendot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2008
    Northern Nevada
    I've up'd their protein with BOSS still no new feathers. ... one even got sunburned and we removed her from the flock for a few days. They are laying though, but I hate to have anyone look at them! They look terrible, but are even tempered, no one hen is getting picked on... guess I will have to wait and see what fall brings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by