Feather loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sara Sue, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Sara Sue

Sara Sue Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2013
    I have a question about feather loss. I had gotten some chickens from a lady (1 cuckoo maran, 1 red dorking, 1 japanese bantam) They were all about 16 weeks when I purchased them. The maran was not specifically chosen by me, but by one of my kids. I had never seen a cuckoo maran in person, so I have no comparison for her. But I noticed when we got her home that she had (has) a good amount of feather loss on her rear (only her rear). During the quarantine period I checked her often for external parasites and never saw any, and none of the other birds have started anything. Also, during quarantine I had noticed that her face and comb got redder....I didn't even know that maybe they were pale (or is it just that she matured more?). She seems normal otherwise and I was just wondering what could cause this feather loss? and how long will it take her to grow the feathers back? Thanks.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The feather loss could have been caused by other chickens pecking at her. Or, she might have just finished molting a new set of feathers. Some birds will not grow new feathers in until they go through their first big molt, which usually ocurrs when they are around one year old. Its possible that she will grow in her feathers before then, but it is just as likely that she won't grow them in until then.

As for the pale comb turning red, a bird's comb and face get redder when they get close to laying. If they were 16 weeks old when you got them, they weren't laying then. Birds usually start laying at about 22 weeks old. A couple weeks before laying begins, a pullet's comb and face will become redder. Is she laying yet? I expect that she will be laying soon if she isn't already.

3. GingerJane

GingerJane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    It cannot be molt, chickens start their first molt at 18 MONTHS.. Are you're chicken's free range?

4. Sara Sue

Sep 20, 2013
    It is definitely possible that she was getting picked on by other birds, because they had a bunch where she came from, and she is the most docile bird I've seen and probably wouldn't do much to stick up for herself. No, she is not laying yet. I had not considered that she may be getting ready to lay. She isn't doing the submissive squat yet either. I'm excited for her to lay though, she is my only chocolate colored egger. Thanks for the advice.

5. Sara Sue

Sep 20, 2013
    Yes, my chickens free range. They were also free range at the farm I purchased them from.

6. GingerJane

Apr 8, 2013
    can you put of picture of it, I might have the answer, I just need to see the feather loss spot.

7. Sara Sue

Sep 20, 2013
    I will post a picture tomorrow. The girls are already locked up for the night. The feather loss is only in her rear though.

8. GingerJane

Apr 8, 2013
    Is the feathers ripped out from her, like you can see some of her flesh? Almost it looks like they were ripped out??

9. Sara Sue

Sep 20, 2013
    Some of the areas are just bare. The skin is not reddened or anything. In some of the places I can see where feathers are starting to come back in.

10. lmooresmith

lmooresmith New Egg

Jul 7, 2013
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by