feather loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by huntergirl25, Dec 9, 2013.

1. huntergirl25

huntergirl25 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2013
    Michigan
    my hens are losing feathers on their neck and im worried they are not that old they are my first flock of chickens and I don't know what could be wrong there are like longer pokey feather bases I think sticking out so they are not completely bald

2. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Do you have roosters? Possibly being pulled out due to mating. Or the more dominate hens are pulling them out... As long as they are growing back (longer pokey feather bases) called pin feathers are normal.

3. huntergirl25

Dec 9, 2013
    Michigan
    thanks there is definitely a giant difference in the ranking of my flock! I am going to try dusting for mites as well thanks for responding!

4. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    [​IMG] How do you like BYC so far? They could just be molting, my hens just started molting and they're losing a ton of feathers. Molting is when they lose feathers each fall/ winter and grow new ones. They often slow down laying and look rather bare and goofy without their feathers. Do you have any photos for us to see the details? If you have a rooster, that could be another reason for feather loss, as the roosters pull out back feathers when mating the hens but it's not a bad thing, just make sure they dont get any worse.

I wouldn't worry about it, as few illnesses make chickens lose feathers. Like I said, a pictures would be helpful to know for sure.

See ya around!
    Ramblin Rooster[​IMG]

5. huntergirl25

Dec 9, 2013
    Michigan
    I can try to post a picture later I am busy now

6. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    That's fine, post one whenever you can. [​IMG]

7. stabburgirl

stabburgirl New Egg

Apr 26, 2013
    I am having the same problem. 2 of my 8 hens have naked areas on their necks, in front under their beaks. One has a large bald area- she is starting to look like a turkey! I couldn't see any crawly things on the bare skin. Could she be molting in the the January cold, at only 8 months of age?

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. You hen may be getting her feathers picked by a flock mate, or she may be having a "mini-molt." I have some bearded chickens, and those feathers are frequently pecked by friends. Make sure that you are feeding enough protein--16 to 20 %--and give them plenty of room, and some interesting things to play on or roosts. Here is some info on molting: http://www.grit.com/animals/molting-what-is-it--how-to-help-chickens-get-through-it.aspx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by