Feather loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MikeBarnes, Jan 18, 2014.

1. MikeBarnes

MikeBarnes Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2013
    I have a flock of 12 birds. A mix of breeds. I have noticed over the last few weeks that some of the birds are loosing the feathers to the front of their neck, some loosing all the feathers on their neck and parts of the head. I thought at first that they might be malting. But am wondering if some birds are eating the feathers for protein. I have recently purchased a higher protein mix but have not seen an improvement yet. Any ideas welcome.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Our california greys are going to be a year old in March (all our birds really) they started losing feathers on the neck and head area a few weeks ago. The new feathers coming in make them look like porcupine chickens. I didn't think they would molt the first year. Now I'm seeing it on the welsummers, and EE. Eggs were already down from lack of light, I don't give them extra lighting.

I gave a mix of flock raiser and layena, to raise protein. After seeing it in more of them I switched to Feather Fixer, the plus about that it has something to help with mites lice in it. I make a mash with either boiled or scrambled eggs in it, sunflower seeds and a bt of corn. I give it to them late in the afternoon to help them through the night with full crops. Our temps at night when bad were below zero to below freezing. They are doing well even with the feather loss. I have checked them while roosting and they are all together warm and fluffy ones warming the ones losing feathers.

4. Probably a molt..

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by