Feather loss

augiedranch

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Texas
I have hens presenting with feather loss, much like a hen would have if they were with too many hens. I have over rooster with 35 hens. Also, their tail feathers are thinning so much! The tail feathers being so thin/missing is something I've never seen before. Any suggestions on what I should do?

I have hens presenting with feather loss, much like a hen would have if they were with too many hens. I have over rooster with 35 hens. Also, their tail feathers are thinning so much! The tail feathers being so thin/missing is something I've never seen before. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Well, if you are sure they have plenty of space and are not bored form being inside too long, I would check for lice and mites.
smile.png

They have two coops connected to a run, but haven't been out in a while due to the weather. Could they be pecking each other? No lice or mites. (Vet checked a handful not too long ago).

They have two coops connected to a run, but haven't been out in a while due to the weather. Could they be pecking each other? No lice or mites. (Vet checked a handful not too long ago).

Yes, that is very possible. they have the winter blues just like us and want to get out. Do you have snow? If you shovel the run down to a thin layer, they don't mind walking on that. I'm sure they are anxious for sunlight, wing and leg stretching even a little running. If they can't be out, heads of cabbage keeps them busy especially if you can hang it where they have to jump up a little to get it. I try to keep at least one of my two coop doors open all day so they can see out or step out if they want. The fresh air improves their mood too. Chickens do well outside during the day IMHO as long as the ambient temp is at least 0* and the wind chill is less than -20*. I hope this helps give you some ideas.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom