feather machine!!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KrazyKZ08, Aug 2, 2011.

1. KrazyKZ08

KrazyKZ08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    My 5 month old female pekin duck has been shedding feathers like crazy since they came in. at first i thought she was just molting, but i'm really starting to worry that there may be something wrong with her. she does not have any bald spots, and her feathers arent thinned out. i just don't think its normal to go on this long or heavily... maybe its too hot? its around 90-100 out, but i keep her inside or near water. i dont know if she's stressed out or if she is lacking something in her diet. she is alone while im working in the afternoon [​IMG] but they just fall out without her plucking them. maybe i should look into better food?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Ducks do molt a few times in the first few months. It is easier to see how dramatic the changes can be in coloured ducks- but with the white ducks... feathers everywhere on the ground that really stand out is the most noticeable thing about their molts. She should be done for a while now if it is just molting - but as long as she doesnt have bald spots or poor quality and health to her feathers it is most likely just normal molting.

3. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    It's probably perfectly fine. If like you say there are no bald spots and there is no blood it anything she's probably just moulting normally. It can be very sudden and heavy, especially the primary feathers which seem to all come off within a few minutes of each other!

4. KrazyKZ08

KrazyKZ08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    whew thats a relief! thank you for your help. do you know how long the molting is supposed to go on or when it should stop? it seems to be endless

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by