1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feather Pecking on lower back

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rob, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Rob

Rob New Egg

Jan 22, 2009
    causing a little blood for the first time is there something I may have to stop this, I have 5 hens and care for them all?

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    The best thing to do is watch them or set up a camera so you can find out who is the bully !

If your girl is bleeding please seperate her to a kennel or cage until she is healed !
    Once your chickens taste blood you will have a huge problem with cannibilism. They will continue to go after her injured spot , it's just their nature. Clean injury with betadine and then apply antibiotic cream but DO NOT USE THE KIND THAT RELIEVES PAIN. Sorry didn't mean to yell but the stuff is toxic to chickens.

Hope that helps. [​IMG]

After you find the bully you can seperate that hen for about a week and when she returns she should be the new girl and won't be so high on the pecking order.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
  3. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    Another BYC chicken person in MT named Lori? Wow, what are the odds?
    I've been vacant too long from BYC.
    Rob... try using blukote antiseptic as well... I have the same problem but it does stop as the chickens don't like the taste if it, and it will dye stain the beaks of the culprit(s) so you'll know who is the problem! [​IMG]
    So, chicken woman, where in MT are you? I'm in Canyon Creek.
    Not too many BYC'er in MT.

Lori

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

You can also use pine tar.

5. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I am in Billings. There is another BYCER here and another that I am friends with in Great Falls. [​IMG]

I tried Blu Kote, pine tar,no pic and black grease but
    it did not stop the pecking until I removed the hen and caged the culprit. I eventually had to rehome the culprit to another flock where she would be at the bottom of the pecking order and she is doing well there.

[​IMG]

Where is Canyon Creek ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
  6. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    We're 25 miles NW of Helena. Love the chicken butt avatar, I have four birds that look just like that! [​IMG] The last bird I had to bring in for being under attack (this was her second round in a year) one of my rancher friends came in and asked, What's the matter with her, did she freeze her butt off?" [​IMG] This of course was during that major cold spell we had last month.
    We all seem to be spread out. We have one in Kalispell (unionwirewoman) and one in Havre (?) and another in Clancy (rockymountainchick) her name is Libby, we've actually met and had lunch together. She works in Helena for the Seiben Ranch Co who we bought our property from, small world in some ways. Good to hear from another BYC'er in Mt! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] Glad you are here for all the help and fun everyone can provide.

bigzio

8. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Oh yea ! Please excuse our manners !!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We like to have fun on here ! Could you tell !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by