Feather Pecking or Pecking Order?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GroovyGallus, Apr 10, 2009.

1. GroovyGallus

GroovyGallus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Genesee, ID
    We've got a small flock of 20 young birds - only one is a roo. They are about 6 weeks old and stay in a hen house that is 5x6 and have an attached pen that is 7x20. They are in the hen house from sunset to sunrise and have access outdoors all day. I've seen a few intersting things and am not sure what it is and if i should be concerned. So i am looking for insight from those of you who have more experience. this is my first time with chickens!
    1. The roo is always grabbing the gals by the neck and i am assuming it is just domination/pecking order stuff. Is that right?
    2. Every morning now i find a few feathers in the coop. Don't see any blood on anyone, no bare patches yet. The feathers are fairly long - not downy. Is this part of pecking order business or is this a problem?
    3. We have been feeding Nutrena chick starter and just started mixing the chick starter with grower feed this week. Could this be causing the pecking?

Wouldn't it be much easier if we could just ask the birds? [​IMG]

Thanks for any insight you all have. This forum is the first place i go for information and advice.

2. GroovyGallus

GroovyGallus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Genesee, ID
    I forgot to mention that we are culling about 10 of the chickens as soon as they are eating size so there will only be 10 adult birds in that set up of house and pen.

3. sweetie54

sweetie54 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    keep watching really close ok because it you see a bald spot or any blood at all you will have to seprate them or they will peck it to death!!!!I had to do this once!!!! They were all picking on one of my hens and i had to give that one away before they killed it!!!!!i think they fight over the nest and who gets to lay!!!![​IMG]

4. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Hi! It sounds like the roo is just doing his thing... I find an occasional feather, in the coop or on the ground. I think some of it might be picking, but I think mostly birds just lose a feather now and then. If the birds look healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like your feeding plan is good. Of course, when they have more space they will be happier. You are keeping a good eye on them- Enjoy and Have Fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by