Feather pecking?

PouleChick

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 6, 2016
SW France
Hi all,
Possibly another dumb newbie question from me :p The background: I've got 3 little chooks that I've had for a month now. Mabel has been a bit poorly the last week or so but seems to have perked back up after giving some viatmins and changing their food. Mabel is 11 week and the other 2 are 9 weeks. It has been properly pouring here today so for the first day in a while they have not been allowed outside at all so they are just in the coop which isn't very big (about 4 ft x 2 ft) but I can't get to the almost finished chicken tractor to finish it to get them moved out until this weather clears :barniewhich looks like it could be another week :he (sorry as an Aussie the European grey / wet winter drives me nuts! :lau).

Anyway I was just out with them cleaning up and hanging them an apple to peck at and I found some feathers. At first I thought they were from the Harco as they looked black and very fluffy (Matilda is so soft and fluffy!) but then I found a white one as well so thought that maybe they could be from Mabel (who is older but has been sick).

My question is (if you have got this far :lol:) does this mean someone is being picked on or do feathers just fall out sometimes? Should I be worried or is it normal?

TIA for your replies :D

Hi they may have been pecked in a squabble or just fallen out, at that age they do a number of slow partial moults before they reach their final plumage ( learnt this from here and observed with my own) so always the odd feather lying aboutHello by the way from across the water!

Hi they may have been pecked in a squabble or just fallen out, at that age they do a number of slow partial moults before they reach their final plumage ( learnt this from here and observed with my own) so always the odd feather lying aboutHello by the way from across the water!
Hello @Freisian - nice to see someone this side of the big 'pond'! I hadn't read that (so much new info to be taking in!) so that makes me feel better! I actually did wonder if some of Mabels not feeling well was due to new feathers coming through as I've read about moulting hurting / feeling uncomfortable for them and I wondered if this could have been part of what has been wrong wither her as all the new proper feathers dont' look that comfortable coming through!

Juvenile molt...
Thanks, good to know about!
Very likely all is normal, but those are cramped living conditions. I'd keep an eye on things 'just in case'.
Ditto both of these^^^^
Thanks both. I know I'm a bit devastated that they are still in there, it is a perfect size for a broody hen or as a brooder or hospital and when I got them at 5 and 7 weeks it seemed huge for the 3 of them, now - not so much :thas I said I didn't expect it to keep raining making it really tricky to get what I need to do to the tractor sorted out (not to talk of the main coop!). I am putting them outside everyday (except today where it has just been torrential much of the day) with a covered area to shelter under (the back of an old TV turned upside down - it is awesome - waterproof and lots of space to keep dry!) so normally they are only in there from an hour or so after sun up until just before sundown (I put them to bed and turn the light off in the room they are in). I need to sit down and sort out the run plans and get the materials. I'm actually thinking after today that getting that built should even take precedence over the tractor coop (the Ana White one - started building it 18 months ago - would not have done it after the research I've done between now and then!) as if it is safe (which due to our long hot summers I plan it to be totally predator proof with HC all sides and a roof) I can just put them in there. Sorry waffleing again! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom