feather pecking????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicklover16, Dec 21, 2011.

1. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    My Light Brahma hen (almost a year old) is being severely feather pecked by my Barred rock (same age) she is bleeding and losing feathers all over her body! I am so worried about her, is there anything I can do?

thanks,
    Idy

2. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hi hun im not sure where your from but here in the UK you can buy feather pecking spray to put on. It tastes so horrible it keeps them from pecking! Hopefully someone else can give you a better suggestion. good luck. Tracy xx

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  3. chicklover16

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    Thank you so much for your quick reply?? What is feather pecking spray? do you put it on the chicken who is being pecked or the chicken who is pecking?

4. chicklover16

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    Quote:Never mind! I did a Google search and found it and how to use it, Thank you so much!

5. Tracy the chick

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    You put it on the chicken who is getting pecked. When the BR goes to peck her she will get a horrible tast and leave her alone! Well thats the plan lol... If you google it in your area you could order some on line. In our feed store you can buy it.x

6. Tracy the chick

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Sorry i took so long to reply but my parrot just flew into my window. Hes ok lol..xx

7. chicklover16

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    Quote:Haha! I Googled it and found it on Amazon. Just a quick note, what brand do you use?

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    "Pinless peepers"
    [​IMG]

Chicken Apron:
    [​IMG]

9. chicklover16

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    Oh and I forgot to mention that she is also moulting right now, will that make a difference?

10. Tracy the chick

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Ive used Net-Tex poultry spray but think thats just a UK brand.. Not sure about the molting hun. You could google can i use pecking spray on chicken thats molting" and see if it brings anything up. I have herd the chicken aprons are good, i myself dare not use one as my chickens live in an apple orchard with lots of trees and bramble bushes and im always worried they get caught on something lol...thats just me mind, other wise i would use one as there a great invention ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by