Feather pecking

badhabitz98

Songster
7 Years
Apr 12, 2013
I apologize if this has been answered numerous times. I don't have time to read through the threads right now. Here's my dilemma and I'm hoping someone can help or ease my mind.

One of my 8 hens is getting her back feathers pecked out. I have a large coop and run and they get free range time daily (unless there's bad weather). They are fed organic layer pellets for their food. They get treats like sunflower seeds and mealworms daily (as well as the crushed oyster shells daily) and kitchen scraps, fresh cut grass, ECt when I have them. I have watched them and can't figure out who's pecking her so I think it's being done at night. It's been going on since the cold weather set in a week and a half ago. I've been keeping an eye on it and today it looks bad. She has dirt caked on it so I'm thinking she may have had blood today and took a dust bath. My questions are:

I should seperate her and I have an X-large dog crate. It's cold outside and I would rather her not be in the coop at night by herself in the crate because she can't cuddle with the others. I was going to keep her in the house till it's better. Is this a bad idea? Will it be hard to reintegrate her with the others later?

The other question is, should I attempt to bathe her or clean the area? If so, what should I use?

I guess I should also ask if there is anything else besides feather pecking that could cause it in case that isn't the issue since I haven't busted anyone pecking her. if so, what do I look for? I'll be home in an hour so I can check it out then.

Thank you all so much in advance! :)

Also, they all seem to be very healthy and happy. Bright red combs, laying perfectly although some are molting a bit. They're all about 9 months old and were raised together from a day old.

Back
Top Bottom