Feather picked pullet with shrunken comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JenniferCNY, Feb 3, 2017.

1. JenniferCNY

JenniferCNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    I just went out to check on my 8 10 month old pullets (3 Barred Rocks, 3 EEs, 2 Buff Orpingtons) to make sure they had all returned to the run after free ranging in the snow.

One of my barred rocks looks bad. She is missing her tail feathers. I can't see skin but her long stand up feathers are just gone. On the back of her neck she has a number of broken feathers. Plus her usually bright red, full comb is dull pink and shrunken.

A couple weeks ago one of my BOs had broken feathers on the back of her neck so I was keeping an eye on things and didn't notice anything amiss until today.

Would a feather picker pull out another chicken's tail feathers? Could being feather picked cause her stress to the point where he comb looks dull and shrunken?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?
    Do you have a rooster?

I suppose feather picking could cause enough stress to have a reduction in comb size/color, but usually this combo is seen when molting.

If you can, observe them as much as you can to see if there is any feather picking going on. Check them over for signs of lice/mites.

Let us know how they are doing.

3. JenniferCNY

JenniferCNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    No rooster.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First picture shows the broken feathers on the back of her neck. Second shows her tail, sans her pretty black green stand up tail feathers and her comb.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by