1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feather picking discussion needed - I suspect I know the answer but need opinions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cluky, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    Hello. So I have a Mille Fleur D'Uccle that is 6 months old. Eats well, drinks well, poops well. No parasites. She is on organic food with additional treats, vegetables, greenery. To that I have one of those bird blocks for her to chew on as well. Couple of weeks ago I have noticed a bald spot by her tail and erroneously blamed my other 6 months old chick. Treated the bald spot with blue kote, and have been ever since. Surprisingly to me the bald spot stayed there, and still looks picked on. Also grew a bit. So I watched them, and watched them. WELL today when I treated her again with blue kote instead of walking away I watched my chickens. Turns out I caught her BLUE BEAKED, literally. She has been picking and eating her own feathers all along. They have plenty of room and activities. Question is, is there any other treatment for someone picking on themselves? Mille Fleur hens are a bit hard to come by here so I would hate to dispatch of her. not too much meat on them either, but is there any remedy for feather picking like this? I don't want her to show this to the rest of my flock either. Oh yes...there are no parasites on them either.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Where by her tail is she picking? Does her preen gland / oil gland look normal?

3. Cluky

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    it isn't on the gland she is preening and eating feathers more where that little piece of thigh "oyster" meat on the chicken is. Does that make sense? It isn't right by the tail.

4. Cluky

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    bump

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by