Feather picking, no stopping it now??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rctcinnv, Aug 26, 2014.

1. rctcinnv

rctcinnv New Egg

Nov 14, 2010
    My flock of twelve hens are picking each other horribly for sometime now, started off post molt, then I mistakenly thought mite issue, so the behavior escalated all that time. Added cat food and black oil sunflower seeds to their diet. I've tried separating first just the most assaulted, then the most aggressive with NO positive results! Is there ANYTHING that can be done at this point?? Will they eventually be cannibalistic? Should I just be culling them all? Ugh….any ideas surely appreciated!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do an on site search on 'Pinless Peepers' - they just may work in this situation.

3. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    hello,i have a pecking chicken,she has injured another's eye so she is seperatedfor 3 days in an small coop,good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. rctcinnv

rctcinnv New Egg

Nov 14, 2010
    Thanks for the info, I just ordered some, hopefully they'll work or just gonna be a lot of chicken for dinner as I can't watch them slowly kill each other!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Curious as to how big your coop and run is(feet by feet) and how old are they..did they grow up together?

6. rctcinnv

rctcinnv New Egg

Nov 14, 2010
    2 of the 12 are a year older and the other 10 grew up together last spring, so year n 1/2 old. the run is plenty large, about 50'x30'. One of the older birds is the only one unaffected, i have ordered pinless peepers already, going to start out with the peepers on only the few most unaffected and leave the bald ones without them and see what happens. Any additional thoughts please let me know, thx!

7. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    When the other chicken's feathers grow back try some distractions like hanging a cabbage head from the roof. Maybe if you can get them to refocus it will become habit NOT to pick on each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by