Feather picking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bstala, Oct 28, 2015.

1. bstala

bstala Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2015
    I have had a bad problem with feather picking on my small flock,I've tried so many things to try and stop it...please respond if you know any ways to stop it...thanks

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    What have you tried, the main reason for feather picking is protein deficiency, or crowding, not enough room, or boredom.

3. bstala

Apr 5, 2015
    They have plenty of room,and good amounts of protein in their diet...I don't think they are bored either

4. CalgaryFarmer

CalgaryFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

layer feed often is not enough. Keep them on grower feed with oyster shells. we had the same problem and will never go back to layer feed.

1 person likes this.
  5. bstala

Apr 5, 2015
    The thing is, my chickens will not l eat oyster shell at all

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    oyster shell is consumed at such a slow rate it often seems that way. Only actively laying birds take it and only a few pieces at a time. A bag can last a small flock a year or longer.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Could you describe what you mean by feather-picking? Are they all picking each other bare, is it only a few that are doing the picking or being picked, or are you talking about them eating feathers just floating around? What have you seen as far as picking and eating feathers?

Have you checked for mites or lice? A lot of the time the symptoms can look like feather picking.

Chickens can get calcium from a lot of different sources other than layer feed or oyster shells; some plants they eat, some creepy crawlies they enjoy so much, even the rock they use for grit if it is limestone. If the egg shells are hard and they are not eating the oyster shell or hardly eating oyster shell, they are getting enough from somewhere. Don’t look at how fast the oyster shell is disappearing, that doesn’t matter. Look at how hard your egg shells are.

8. bstala

Apr 5, 2015
    I could show you a picture of her to show you what type of picking it is[​IMG]

9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    that's really bad, do you have a rooster.

10. bstala

Apr 5, 2015
    Ok didn't know that ol grey mare..thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by