Feather-picking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lark Rise, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    I have 6 hens in a pen and 5 of them have been picked on. I've put saddles on them, but now the culprit is starting to pick their wings. I'm assuming the one with perfect feathers is the picker. Should i isolate her? How do I stop her from picking? Thanks.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

They may be in too small an area. They may be missing some protein in their diet.... You can give black oil sunflower seeds or some dog food. Boredom is also possible. Clip the point off all their beaks to make it harder to pick, spread down bird seed on the floor and cover it with hay so they have to scratch to find it and helps keep them busy. Hang a half of a cabbage from a wire just high enough to reach to keep them busy... Etc... A flock block of pressed food and seeds may help,also..... Keep those beaks busy.....

3. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    If you're able to, you might also try letting them free range now and again. It seems to really help cut down on feather picking behavior, at least while they're out.

4. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    They free range everyday. I have no idea when she's picking them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by