1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feather Picking???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SwedishDude99, Nov 29, 2013.

1. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    I have a hen who has recently been pecked on her lower back and the other girls overnight picked out all of her feathers in that area. Not all of the girls contributed, because I watched in the morning and there are only a few who did it. I culled the ringleader and isolated the injured hen. She healed up well, so I put her back in with the other chickens. It looks like she is having feathers picked again, but this time it is her tail feathers. She is also molting, so I can't tell what it is. I found feathers in her isolation coop, and am still finding feathers now, but a couple of the feathers look like they are being bitten. I can't tell what it is for sure, so I don't know if I should seperate her from the, again. Any help is appreciated!

2. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Feather picking can become a bad habit that spreads. Make sure they are getting plenty, but not too much protein in the diet. If you have them on 16% layer, you could boost it up to 20% flock raiser, or give them gamebird feed 24% for treats. Scrambled egg and tuna are also good. Make sure thy have plenty of room to roam, and some interesting things to climb on and explore. Rocks to climb on, roosts, a hanging cabbage or treat ball are good.

4. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Ok thankyou. They do have plenty for oomph. There are three of them altogether and they have an 8' by 8' coop with an 8' by 11' run attached. I will try putting in some things to climb on since they already have hanging vegetables and a flock block. I will also try a switch in feed. Do they need a gradual change in their feed, or can you change it all at once?

5. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Sorry, I meant they have plenty of room not oomph.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would mix it for a day or two, 50/50, or just add some dry cat food or other extra protein. My chickens get a couple different brands, and I don't have problems changing back and forth.

7. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Okay I will do that. Thankyou so much. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by