Feather Picking

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TFULLEN, Aug 18, 2014.

1. TFULLEN

TFULLEN New Egg

Jun 9, 2014
    Many of my chickens have missing feathers. One even has blood stains around her white neck. I have witnessed a couple of chickens pulling out feathers of other chickens. It seems the bantam's are picking on the big chickens. Silly huh? Are they missing something in their diet? How do I change the behavior? They have scratch daily, plenty of feed, cabbage hanging for fun. What else can I do?

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Can't help you on correcting that behavior, but that chicken that has the bloody neck? Get her isolated asap. It'll get real bloody and they may end up killing her....seriously.

3. TFULLEN

TFULLEN New Egg

Jun 9, 2014
    Thanks. I will.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What kind of space are they in......how big is coop and run(feet by feet)?
    Feather picking can be a crowding issue.

If they have plenty of room:
    Up their protein, especially animal protein.
    What kind of feed are you feeding, what is the protein level.
    I free feed high protein(20%) crumble so because I dilute their protein level with the scratch and other foods they get later in the day.

5. TFULLEN

TFULLEN New Egg

Jun 9, 2014
    They are in a chicken hotel. Very nice and large. I should charge! I feed them an organic layer crumble that has a lot of protein. I do give them scratch in the morning and lettuce, bread, cabbage a few times a week. Maybe I am giving them too many treats? I did use a flock block for a while and they seemed to do better. I did have to cull one of the frequent and mean feather pickers today since she was really injuring a couple girls. It seems that my bantams are meaner than my standards. Thanks for your advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by