Feather plucking and pecking

Discussion in 'Quail' started by emptynester, Sep 16, 2011.

1. emptynester

emptynester Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    Hello everyone,
    I noticed I had a male quail that was missing his tail feathers and his butt looked bloody where he was being pecked, so I pulled him out of the covey to heal and now notice another male with the same problem. There are 12 georgia giants - about 4 months old in a wire brooder that is 8 feet long by two feet wide. There are 4 males and 8 females.
    We plan on separating into trios this weekend, but I"m afraid the two males will get pecked by the females. Any ideas or suggestions?

2. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Do they have a reasonably high protein feed in the pen around the clock?

3. emptynester

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    They are on game bird starter, I can't tell you the protein % off the top of my head. They still have food in the feeder every morning when I go to fill it, so it isn't because they are running out. But I did plan on feeding them some cooked egg tomorrow to see if that would help. These are my first quail so was wondering if I was doing something wrong, should have separated them sooner, etc.

4. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    sounds like general bob problems, most likely to many males.

5. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:No, nothing stands out as being "doing something wrong" as I can see. If they have a sufficient high-protein feed, water, and not over-crowded (which it sounds like they're not....at least by my standards), sounds like you've just got a small group of bored Bobs. Put a small cardboard box with a door big enough for them to get through......or, a little bunch of branches from some tree/shrub limbs in a pile so the victim can have a place to get away from its villain. Bobs are little Hellians, scuze my French... [​IMG] ........ I know it's not what you wanna hear, but they're wicked little boogers. They will go off on another one just because!!!!!! And if you wanna really see a feathered conflict, wait till spring when reproduction gets on their mind!!!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  6. emptynester

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    Thanks for the advise [​IMG] Will add some branches and a box for them and create a Quail Romper room to help aleviate their boredom and see if that helps.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Sounds Like Standard Bob Agression To Me.. 16 Wk Old Gg's, Yeah Its About Time To Amp Up The Beatings....

1 Word= Bits

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by