Feather plucking and Peepers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ccmurph, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ccmurph

ccmurph New Egg

Aug 1, 2011
    I have 7 girls, no rooster. All together since I purchased as baby chicks. They are not 16 months old. Feather picking started after first molt and I wasnt able to control it with vinegar in the water, vicks on the feathers and bald spots, more protein, hanging cabbage in coop, etc.... My girls have a 14 x 14 coop with lots of post for roost and two laying boxes. They have access to a large yard where they free range from 7 am to 7 pm. Yesterday, out of desperation I applied the peepers to all 7. My friend who raises organic heritage birds told me that I should start them on antibiotics until I remove the peepers. Not sure that is necessary. Any suggestions?

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    never read that before when using peepers, funny coming from an organic farmer. I ahve a feather plucking addition going on in my flock, one started it now most do it. Very tough to stop, like you I have tried everything, no luck yet. good luck let me know if the peepers work, I plan on putting them on them this fall, not sure if I want them to free range with them on, could block their vision so I am waiting until they are in more.

3. ccmurph

ccmurph New Egg

Aug 1, 2011
    They seem to be doing fine in the yard today. Gave them some scrambled eggs and oats and they had no problem finding the treat and eating it up!

4. ccmurph

ccmurph New Egg

Aug 1, 2011
    They seem to be doing fine in the yard today. Gave them some scrambled eggs and oats and they had no problem finding the treat and eating it up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by