Feather plucking in brooder

Wainbowmudd

Songster
Jul 19, 2020
Florida
So my “babies” are big. 8 weeks. They’ve really run out of room waiting for their coop (getting delivered tonight but I still have to paint and add the predator apron so it will be at least 24hrs until they can go in). One girl is plucking feathers quite frequently today, I’m sure they are just crowded and bored in their brooder. She seems to be doing it mostly to the 2 that are two weeks younger than the other 4. Should I separate her somewhere alonE until they can go in their coop??

What are you using for a brooder? How large is it? Most likely the pecking is from over crowding, so I would try to move them to their coop or a bigger brooder very soon.

What are you using for a brooder? How large is it? Most likely the pecking is from over crowding, so I would try to move them to their coop or a bigger brooder very soon.

Yes I believe it is because of overcrowding. It’s a dog kennel halved upside down if take makes sense. The coop is being delivered tonight so I don’t think I could get another brooder set up before the coop would be ready. I do have another dog kennel I could put the culprit in for the 24 hours I need to have the coop ready.

they spent the afternoon outside in a pen yesterday and had to go back to the brooder for today. I’m sure they didn’t like that. If it gets worse today I’ll isolate her for the night then take them out to the pen tomorrow while I finish predator proofing. Hoping she

They spent the day outside today, I didn’t see any plucking in person but while I was out there with them this evening and noticed this area on one of my babies. Not sure if it’s new plucking or previous :( you can only see it when she holds her wings out to get air. What do I do??? My poor babies. It seems like she’s only doing it to the two younger ones (2 weeks younger). The other ones tail is looking thin too. They e all been fine since now. Babies have been with the older ones since they were born and the big girls were two weeks.

7FEA5A2D-CCF8-45A1-9615-D910ED9380AE.jpeg
E254A1A0-F2BD-4A5B-B071-F401199EF45D.jpeg

Just get your coop done ASAP

Waiting for it to be delivered 😞 one week turned into 5. Now it’s tomorrow 🤦🏼‍♀️
They hung out outside in a big pen today, I didn’t see any picking in person but I couldn’t stay out there all day. Out there this evening I seen open skin on one of my babies when she opened her wings 😭😭😭 not sure if it’s new or from yesterday

Waiting for it to be delivered 😞 one week turned into 5. Now it’s tomorrow 🤦🏼‍♀️
They hung out outside in a big pen today, I didn’t see any picking in person but I couldn’t stay out there all day. Out there this evening I seen open skin on one of my babies when she opened her wings 😭😭😭 not sure if it’s new or from yesterday
You can Blu-Kote the bald spots but it may not help. I would get them additional spacing in case tomorrow turns into day-after-tomorrow ya know?

Back
Top Bottom