Feather problem. Anyone have any suggestions please!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by featherfinder, Nov 3, 2011.

1. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

So this is about Gizmo again. The one with the heart problems. If anyone read in my last post about her I had taken her to the vet and they told me her feather problem was she was going threw a bad molt and pulling out her own feathers. They offered me a anti inflamitory or to just let her be since her skin was not irritated. Well i checked her last night and she has all the feathers on her stomach torn out and its bald with very red skin. You could see blood on some parts as well. I washed her up and put neosprine on the really red parts and the scabs. I dont know what else i can do for her to make it feel better or help her to not pull them out. I dont not have the money for the medication the vet told me i could use so does anyone have any ideas or home remedies?

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    How about creating a belly apron? Similar to tose that are made for chickens when a roo strips their ack feathers. Just made to fit her underside. Is she a house duck? If she is not, it might be time to think about that as well.

3. featherfinder

She use to be a house duck then i moved her outside. This is her first molt. She is a very slow developer because of her heart issue according to my vet. She had done alot better since being out there to and has her place in the pecking order and i dont want to ruin that and bring her back inside. I never thought about an apron like that though. I might have to consider that.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I did a quick google search and found some info used for parrots when they pull out their feathers. Here is a link http://www.parrotchronicles.com/features/featherpicking/featherpicking.htm

One
    person said use vitamin E oil to sooth the skin. If it works for parrots I don't see how it could harm a duck. Also, can you rig something up to cover the area that she plucks? Like a reverse chicken saddle?

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Have you tried some anti-pick lotion? I have one that smells awful.. Supposed to discourage picking. I don't really have any issues with it yet, but when and if I do, I have some on hand. It's supposed to help heal and stop bleeding.

6. featherfinder

Quote:Just read the whole article. Vitamin E sounds like my best bet right now. I think i will have to buy some tonight. I made a make shift diaper for her when she was younger so i will also try to make something to cover the area. Maybe line the inside with gauze or something like that to hold on the oil instead of it rubbing into the fabric? Do you think the other ducks would bite at her with this on?

aoxa- I have never heard of an anit-pick lotion. Where did you find it so i can look it up and get some more information on it?

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Just read the whole article. Vitamin E sounds like my best bet right now. I think i will have to buy some tonight. I made a make shift diaper for her when she was younger so i will also try to make something to cover the area. Maybe line the inside with gauze or something like that to hold on the oil instead of it rubbing into the fabric? Do you think the other ducks would bite at her with this on?

aoxa- I have never heard of an anit-pick lotion. Where did you find it so i can look it up and get some more information on it?

[​IMG]

I got it at my local co-op store. You would find it at pretty much any farming supply store. They have it in a more liquid form than the paste I got, which is red. I find it works great.

Stop Pick Liquid

Indications:
    This specially formulated liquid is indicated to prevent cannibalism in poultry. It is important that Stop-Pick Liquid be used at the first indication of picking before the habit becomes firmly established.
    Directions for Use:
    To prevent the outbreak of cannibalism:

Apply on 15 to 20 birds in each 100 at the first sign of picking.
    To start the healing process:

Apply over sores on birds already picked.
    Stop-Pick Liquid is repulsive to fowl, yet harmless and effective.

8. featherfinder

Thank you aoxa [​IMG]

Do you think i should still try to make a reverse saddle if i use this?

9. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:I think you should.... Thats what im gonna do with mine that has the same problem....

10. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:I think that anything to stop the picking would be good... if the saddle will stay on I'd use it but just in case it doesn't be sure to use some kind of non-picking lotion.

I've been using Rooster Booster Pick-no-More and find it's excellent also... I get mine online at www.flemingoutdoors.com (funny, my local feed store didn't have any idea what I was talking about when I asked if they carried a product like this [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by