Feather Problem. Pics included.

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by kuntrygirl, Jan 18, 2011.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I'm not sure if anything is wrong with my peacock but one of them has a few feathers that are spread out away from his body. It has been like this for 2 days. Do you think that something is wrong with his wings or feathers? Why aren't some of his feathers drawing back to the body with the other wing feathers?

I have a few pics posted. Not really good pics but you can see a feather that is away from the body on the left. It's like that on both side. It stays like that......even when he roosts at night. Any thoughts?????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Looks like some angel wing going on... How old are they? Sometimes younger birds do that because their wings can't support the weight of the feathers yet, but they look like they might be a bit beyond that stage. If it is angel wing, you might need to wrap it so that the feathers and wing are held close, that may straighten it out. Do they have exposure to sunlight? I think I read somewhere that lack of vitamin D could cause problems like that...

Editing to add: Here is a thread talking about it, it can also be caused by to much protein? https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5487569

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  3. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Uh oh. Angel wing? Not good. Before they weren't exposed to a lot of sunlight. They were in another enclosure awaiting their pea pen being built. They are now in their pen. They currently eat laying pellets with a mixture of sunflower seeds. That is what the last owner fed them. They are both 7 months old.

What do you suggest I feed them?

Thanks for your reply.

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Thanks for the post. Dumb Dumb - - - >ME [​IMG] didn't even think about angel wing. I have a few muscovies that were given to me years, years ago and they have angel wing. My peacock's wing does look like the start of angel wing. I guess I"ll be wrapping him tonight. Now I have to do research on how to wrap.

I surely appreciate you providing that information to me. You're the best! [​IMG]

5. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Nah... not the best... that would be deerman and those guys. I just had a goose with it before so it looked all too familiar. About all you can do is make sure the protien level is right, wrap it, and hope for the best. At least it isn't a fatal problem... hope it works out! [​IMG]

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I was giving them unmeasured portions of laying pellets and sunflower seeds. I guess I need to find the right measurements to make sure that the protein level is not too high.

Thanks again!

7. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Here is some info for you, geared for cranes and waterfowl but may have something useful: http://usgs.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Angel_Wing.htm

Laying pellets may have more calcium than they need, I think I would go with regular flock raiser and maybe leave out the sunflower seeds for now. They are a good source of protien which isn't needed right now. JMO

8. AndysPeafowlSanctuary

AndysPeafowlSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

I start my peafowl off on medicated turkey started and crack corn with some dried cat food for about the 1st year or so, then i switch it up to game bird feed with cracked corn and dried cat food. Never had any problems yet. hope this helps. Andy:D

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Thanks everyone. The only reason I went with the laying pellets and sunflower seeds is because the older man that I bought them from was feeding that to them and I didn't want to upset their stomach by changing their diet. But it sounds as if I need to switch them to something else.

Frosty - Our local TSC sells the flockraiser so that would be easy to get.

Andy- What is the mixture in terms of measurments do you give them? How much medicated turkey starter, cracked corn and dried cat food? For example - 2 cups turkey starter - 1 cup cracked corn - 1 cup dried cat food? I hope I"m not sounding picky but I just want to make sure that I don't do any more damage to them. I am totally new when it comes to peafowl, so I'm clueless on what to do. [​IMG] What do you suggest?

Thanks again you all.

10. AndysPeafowlSanctuary

AndysPeafowlSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

Since you only have two birds i would do 2 cups gamebird feed 2 cups of crack corn and 1 cup of cat food twice a day, in the am and then in the evening. You can also give them treats such as greens, lettuce, fruit, veggies and seeds and nuts. I'm thinking maybe we can do a trade out this year, I'll trade you some peafowl for some burbon red turkeys lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by