1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feather problem

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 19marvinn, Jan 5, 2017.

1. 19marvinn

19marvinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

About half of my hens have this problem with bare bottoms. It looks like it could be a big issue and with winter, cold. Any help identifying and issue or a solution is greatly appreciated.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks like you may have a possible mite/lice infestation. Go out, after dark, and check your hens for lice or mites. If there are mites or lice, pyrethrum spray is an all-natural, safe and effective treatment.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That looks like from feather picking. Usually from not enough protein in the diet. The rear end is easy for a feather picker to snatch feathers off another chicken. I would spend some time quietly observing your birds to see if you see anyone doing it. Switch them to a higher protein feed, 18-22% is best.

4. 19marvinn

19marvinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2015
    If it is lice or mites wouldn't all of my hens have this issue? It's only on certain ones. I've been spraying the area with a permethrin water mix for a few weeks once a week.

and I have observed them for quite some time over the last few weeks and notice no bullying. Also they are on a 24% feed

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You have to treat the whole bird, not just the affected area. And be careful that you aren't diluting it too much. Treatment should be applied twice weekly, till no more bugs have been observed. Feathers may not grow back till they molt again, next fall.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Than lice or mites as mentioned would have been my next thought. I use a powdered poultry dust which works well. I dust the nestboxes and roost cracks too.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Even if bird has/had bugs that caused feather loss....feathers likely won't grow back until a molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by