Feather problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lotusgirl40, Mar 4, 2012.

1. lotusgirl40

lotusgirl40 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    I have 5 hens and a rooster, 3 Silver laced Wyandott hens, 2 Sussex, speckled hens and roo. One of the Sussex girls seems to have lost the outer feathers on her chest and neck; no skin showing, just fluffy under feathers. She is fine other wise, eating and behaving normally, just looks a mess. Not sure what to make of this, expecially since all of the others look perfectly fine.

2. LooneyGoonie

LooneyGoonie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    It sounds like your birds are starting to molt. They typically begin losing feathers on their head and neck first. Next, the feathers on their body, wings and tail will molt. Soon your birds will begin getting new feathers in these areas, which will look like little barbs growing from their skin. If it's a molt, you have nothing to worry about.

3. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Sounds like a molt to me also.

4. lotusgirl40

Jul 6, 2011
    Thanks for the input. I was wondering if that could be what it was.

5. lotusgirl40

Jul 6, 2011
    How long, typically until she starts getting some new feather growth?

6. LooneyGoonie

LooneyGoonie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2012
    It depends on your bird. I've seen some who molt quickly and begin to grow new feathers very quickly, and others who lose most of their feathers before new ones grow back in.

7. thaokou21

thaokou21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Arkansas
    make sure they have enough space because some other chicken likes to peck on the new grown feather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by