Feather pulling roo

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crooked stripe, Mar 3, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have one black australorp roo that plucks the tail feathers out of all the rest of the chicks. I have put up with this yelling all day. He just goes from one chick to another pulling feathers. I took him out and put him in a seprate cage in the barn. What do I do? He is only 3.5 weeks old and already a hellian. I can't keep him seprated for ever and really don't want to. Please help. John

2. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    If you have the chicks in a closed off area you chould put a divider in so he can't get to them are at least to they get where they can defend them selfs. But I don't know how to stop him. I hope you find out what to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2008
  3. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I took the 2 chicks with bloody tails and put them in a laundry basket and placed it in the brooder with food and water. I also placed some vaseline on their tails and all is quiet for now. It just seemed like things turned into chaos in a short order. From a clam and cool family unit to plucking some chicks to death. I just don't understand. Is this normal? John

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  4. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    I have never heard of a rooster pulling chicks tail feathers out. I have heard about a rooster pulling full grown hen feathers out. Is he mean to people.

5. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    He seems to just lost controll of him self and went wild. Most are sleeping now and quiet. John

6. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    I've heard of a few things that can cause chicks to pick at one another. Do you have plenty of room in your brooder? What about trying red lights? I know I've read other things, but I've never experienced this myself. I have a neighbor whose grown chickens were doing this, it was an overcrowding issue for him. Maybe someone who has actually experienced this for themselves will post.

Good Luck!

7. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I am going to bring him back from the barn and keep him in a separate cage. My DW feels sorry for him. I cleaned his cage this morning and he just keep pecking at my hands. That is a first.
    Will the tail feathers on the rest of the chicks grow back or are they gone till the first molt? There bloody bums look pretty good after a night kept separate. How soon can I introduce them back with the rest? Any recommendations? Will the other roos start this pecking at a later date? I have 11 chicks in a 16 square foot breeder, is this enough room? This bad situation just brings on a lot of questions. John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by