Feather pulling........

rooster brandon.

Songster
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
Kodak, by knoxville
Ihave recently got 3 golden laced cochin bantams and 1 hen has her tail feathers pulled out and the rooster has a spot like that on his chest but the other hen does not have even have 1 feather that has been plucked off of her the laddy said that hen is plucking featheres because she recently moved them from a really big cage to a REALLY small cage for a week how can i stop them from picking on the hen and rooster?

OMG! why did it put 5 on here im so sorry!
hide.gif

Increase their living space and add protein (dry cat food) to their diet. This MAY help. Some chickens remain feather pluckers for their lifetime; therefore, in order to solve the problem one must terminate their life. (Or tolerate the situation.) Removing her from the flock for a significant period of time (weeks not days) may also help.

Here's a link to a product that is highly recommended for stopping persistent pickers.

http://www.roosterboosterproducts.com/product/50910

I'd try the methods recommended by sourland first, and then if you still see a problem then try this product. If the bird continues to pick then move on to the pinless peepers. If the peepers don't work then I'd consider culling her from your flock. Picking is a nasty habit.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom