Feather Regrowth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tropical Chickies, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Tropical Chickies

Tropical Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    I just bought a black marans and she is missing loads of feathers. How long does it take to grow back? I have raised the protein level of the crumbles and bought avia charge 2000, also giving crimped sour oats and regular crimped oats.

Any other suggestions??

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    What caused the feather loss? A rooster, lice/mites. moult? I hope you have her quarantined from your chickens. Inspect her closely for mites/lice. Feathers will grow back after a moult.

3. Pam Allan

Pam Allan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    I've got an australorps hen that the rooster has "defeathered". It's been weeks - do the feathers grow back or is she bald for life? And I've heard you can buy "hen aprons" for this problem - is that true and where do you get them. In about 4 months it's going to start getting cold and if she doesn't have her feathers back she's going to get really uncomfortable.

4. Tropical Chickies

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    Quote:I haven't seen any traces of mites/lice. I believe it is from pecking...the person I got her from didn't have adequate space in their coop and run.

5. Tropical Chickies

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    Quote:Yes, you can get aprons for them. I have heard there is a member on here who makes them, but I am not sure what the member's name is. I am hoping it doesn't take months for feathers to grow back!

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I've heard BOSS (Black oil sunflower seeds) are good for feather regrowth for moulting and such. I would give that a try!

7. Pam Allan

Pam Allan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Just in the 2-3 days since I posted my girl is starting to show a "5 o'clock shadow" on her back. It looks like the feathers are starting to come back in. And they do eat a lot of black oil sunflower - I feed wild birds and the chickens are always under the feeder waiting for seed to fall.
    I would still like to invest in the hen apron if I can find someone who makes them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by